Friday, September 25, 2015

The Plains of Passage Review



Rating:
  


* For those of you who haven’t read The Mammoth Hunters yet, SPOILER ALERT!

     Oh my goodness, this book was exhausting!

     In The Plains of Passage, Jean M. Auel’s fourth installment in the Earth’s Children series, Ayla and Jondalar go on a year-long journey to travel back to Jondalar’s people, known as the Zelandonii.

     Just like with all of the other books in the series, Auel does not fail to place her readers firmly in the story. I applaud her incredible craftsmanship, but, due to that skill, I too felt like I had gone on a journey of epic proportions. Can you even fathom taking an entire year to get somewhere?

     Allow me to digress for just a moment to put this into perspective. When I was about four years old, I went on a family road trip from Florida to the Grand Canyon. I don’t remember how long it took us to get there with all the stops we made along the way, but, according to MapQuest, it takes about a day-and-a-half one way if you drive continuously. 

(I tried to see how long it would take to walk there since Ayla and Jondalar traveled by foot and horseback, but MapQuest couldn’t even calculate it.)

     By the time I got home from this trip, you’d better believe I marched right into the house, grabbed my plastic Minnie Mouse chair, plopped it in front of the television, and sat my butt down. True story. At such a young age, even I understood that more than one day is too long to have to be on the road.

     Yet Ayla and Jondalar dared to set out into the wilderness for 365 days (give or take) through fields of grass that towered over their heads, bug-infested swamplands that made their skin itch, and many other treacherous landscapes.

     Using one of my favorite suspense tricks, Auel also gave them a pressing time limit in which they had to reach their destination. They had to make it across an icy plateau glacier that lay at the end of their journey before the end of winter. Otherwise, the ice would start to melt and it would be too dangerous to cross. 

     Remember, this was long before the invention of GPS, and there was hardly anyone around that you could stop and ask for directions. One wrong turn and they’d never make it home.

     While I was definitely anxious to see if they would get there in time, this book still felt like it took forever to read. I was probably more excited than Ayla and Jondalar by the time this trip was finally over.


      So, book #4 in this series was given 3 Star-Lords. Excellent attention to detail as usual, but a little too long of a trip for my tastes. I think next time I’ll just stay home in my Minnie Mouse chair and leave it to someone else to go traipsing through the plains of passage.


** I couldn't find a picture of me in my Minnie Mouse chair, so I've left you with the next best thing.


Mini me finds the lack of dinosaurs on this prehistoric trip to be highly disappointing.


No comments:

Post a Comment